This Symposium encompasses all aspects of advanced thin films, nanomaterials and metamaterials for modern optical, photonic and electronic devices with applications in energy, sensing, communications, information processing and display technologies. We welcome contributions on advanced or novel materials with enhanced process compatibility, stability in adverse environments, or improved device performance, process-structure-property relationships to optimize design, fabrication and integration of multifunctional components for smart and active devices. Contributions describing new and improved process control, in-situ real-time monitoring, growth mechanisms and novel characterization techniques for these materials and applications are particularly welcome.
C1. Optical Materials: Design, Synthesis, Characterization, and Applications
Current applications of optical materials, thin films and advanced structured materials, impose extreme demands on their synthesis and performance. The optimisation of these devices, from design to applications, can be facilitated by optical characterization methods such as spectrophotometry, ellipsometry, scatterometry, interferometry, vibrational spectroscopies, near-field microscopies and other light-mater interactions. We welcome contributions in the design, synthesis, characterization, and applications of thin films and nanostructures for optical applications.
C1. Invited Speakers:
- Alain C. Diebold, SUNY Polytechnic Institute Albany, USA, “Materials Characterization at the Nanoscale”
- Ndubuisi George Orji, National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), USA, “Metrology for the Next Generation of Semiconductor Devices”
- George C. Schatz, Northwestern University, USA, “Plasmonic Materials and Devices”
C2. Functional Coatings and Thin Films for Electronic Devices
This session is dedicated to functional coatings that may find applications in active or passive thin film-based devices utilizing electronic, optical, piezoelectric and similar properties. They consist of thin films of carbides, nitrides, oxides or mixtures and combinations thereof. They are typically prepared by PVD, CVD, ALD/PEALD or alternative deposition methods. Material characteristics like electrical and thermal conductivity, optical properties including electrochromicity, piezoelectricity, thermal stability as well as wear and oxidation resistance are considered. Application-related contributions are solicited addressing both experimental and theoretical studies on design of film properties and processes to control nucleation, microstructure, phase changes, diffusion processes and oxidation protection aimed at specific device performance.
C2. Invited Speakers:
- Erwin Kessels, Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands, “Thermal and Plasma-Enhanced Atomic Layer Deposition for Nanoscale Coatings”
- Ivoyl Koutsareff, Qualcomm, USA, “Elastic and Piezoelectric Properties Predictions of Al1-Xscxn Materials for High Frequency Filters”
- Antonio Mei, Cornell University, HRL, USA, “Controlling Phase Transitions and Ferroic Order in BiFeO3 and FeRh for Emerging Applications”
- Christophe Vallée, CEA-LTM, Grenoble, France, “High k Dielectrics for MIM Architecture: From Capacitors to Non-volatile Memories Applications”
C3. Thin Films for Energy Applications: Solar, Thermal, and Photochemical
This session focuses on the materials science, physics, chemistry and device engineering of thin films and nanostructures for energy-related applications, which include photovoltaics, thermoelectrics, photoelectrochemical water splitting and batteries. The session will cover both theoretical and experimental work on diverse materials including but not limited to inorganic group IV, III-V and II-VI semiconductors, organic semiconductors, oxides, nitrides and novel compounds of earth-abundant elements. We welcome contributions on recent developments in physical, chemical, and optical phenomena, new materials and novel device concepts in renewable energy technologies.
C3. Invited Speaker:
- Eva Schubert, University of Nebraska Lincoln, USA